There is a good variety of climbing scattered in the Big Smoke, from stunning sea cliffs to quiet and hidden crags in the suburbs.
LOCATION: Climbing areas are scattered throughout the city and surrounding suburbs
CLIMBING: All grades, mixed pro and sport climbs
WHEN TO GO: Anytime
RECOMMENDED READING: Sydney and the Sea Cliffs, a Rock guide by Mike Law.
ONLINE GUIDE TO SYDNEY: Sydney climbing
- Berowra - short (up to 10m) sport routes. Grades 15-26
- Joll's Bridge - trad and sport up to 40 m. Grades Easy to 27
- Barrenjoey - mostly mixed gear, up to 12m. Grades 10-25.
- Narrabeen - Mixed and sport routes, up to 12m. Grades 15-28
- North Head - long and exposed mixed routes, up to 50m. Grades 18-23
- Diamond Bay - Sport routes mostly, up to 15 m. Grades 17-26.
- Sissy Crag - fantastic boldering. V1 - V10
- The Balkans - boldering